Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sister Visits and Maternity Coordinator Thoughts

I went to visit Amy, my youngest sister, in her new "home" city, Sacramento. Kate (middle sister) & I got to spend 4 days gallivanting around "Old Sac" "East Sac" "Mid Sac" and any other types of Sac's we could think of.

My beautiful sissys!



Ricks Hot Fudge Sundae


If you really want to know what we did - these words came out of Amy's good friends mouth on Sunday afternoon, as we were about to leave for the airport. "All you guys did was eat this weekend!" <-- Sad, but true. We spent the entire 4 days visiting all of Amy's favorite restaurants. In between those favorite restaurants, we stopped by places such as Candy Heaven & Ricks Desert Bar.

Who knew 3 girls could spend this much on a lunch?



And after lunch, at the airport... snacks.
One night we all went to dinner, went to a friends rooftop preparty, and then the girls went out for drinks. I departed the rooftop preparty around 10 and headed for home. I sat there from 10pm until 130am when they finally got home, tossing and turning. Being the oldest, I feel like you already have some sort of "motherly" craziness. Where are they? Are they safe? When are they coming home? I cant sleep with all those thoughts! This could also be due to the fact that I already was on the end of one not-so-fun phone call in the middle of the night regarding my baby sister!

Phone Call: After graduating college, I moved back home with my parents. A while after I had fallen asleep, my phone started ringing with "AMY" on display. I picked it up, figuring I was getting a fun-filled drunk dial. Instead, it was Amy's sorority sister who said "Hey Sara. Ummm Amys head was just cracked open, but the ambulance is on the way." Not exactly the phone call I had imagined. So then I had to get out of bed and wake up my roommate mom and fill her in on the news (my dad was out of town for business). So all of a sudden I became the bearer of bad news. Everything turned out fine, she got a few stitches and that was that, but still. "Cracked her head open" isn't exactly a phrase I'd like to hear again on the receiving end of a phone call.

All this tossing and turning got me thinking, and I thought of my dear friend (ok, facebook friend) Rosie Pope. I love her show "Pregnant in Heels"... and although some of it is completely offbase and unrealistic, I realized how much easier your pregnancy could be if you had a magic maternity coordinator. Kind of like a fairy godmother, someone to answer all your silly (or not so silly) questions on pregnancy, labor and bringing home your baby! When do you order nursery furniture? When do you tell everyone you are expecting? When am I going to get fat? Since I'm short on the fairy godmother deal, I did the next best thing. My girlfriend Natalie had sent me a surprise package with Jenny McCarthy s "Belly Laughs" book. I picked it up, and read it in one sitting. She pretty much nails everything dead on with the way you are feeling, why strange things are happening to you, and what to expect. So, thanks to Jenny, I'm feeling a little better.

Until next week, when I make the official announcement, and then weird people may start to think its OK to touch my belly.

Oh, and I thought I'd let you know that I listened to my mother (shouldn't you always?). From last weeks entry - I put a rubber band around my button and I'm feeling so much better about myself. It almost makes me forget I'm walking around with unbuttoned pants.

Almost.
My makeshift button-closer with a hairband... apparently I can't find any rubber bands.


No comments:

Post a Comment