Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Letting my hair down....

If you know me at all or have read my "about me" section, you're most likely already aware that, even before pregnancy... I was a homebody (and that's putting it mildly). Rewind about 7 years and I was be-bopping around my college campus Sunday through Sunday, filling my afternoons with a little Lifetime Movie Special and naps - just enough downtime to enable me to get up and do it again the next night. Current time: I have kept the routine of Lifetime movies & naps, but pretty much have skipped over and forgotten about the gallivanting I used to be so good at. It seems like there is always something "I have to do" the next morning, or how "busy my day was at work and how all I want is to go home, eat dinner, and go to bed".... cue sad music here! But in all honesty, I like the way my week and weekends go. I love going to dinner, and I love being home before my bedtime. I love walking my dog in the morning, and running errands when the stores open at 9 or 10 in the morning. So I'm not really complaining... I suppose it's just preparing me for the future. In 6 months I will be staring down at a beautiful new human-being, that will consume every second of my life from here until eternity. I think about this... and then I start to shake. Oh my god... should I have gone out more? Should I have been one of those people that raged on weekdays, and went to work in the morning with a double espresso and worked through their day with one eye open? Should I have gone out more on the weekend, and stayed up to watch the sunset..... in my late 20's? Should I have lived more and slept less, isn't that what people say?

On Monday, I had to travel for work and stay overnight before a video shoot the following morning. My office roommate and I hopped in my car and hit the road after work. We spent the 2 1/2 hour drive talking about our plans to order room service, get in our jammies, watch TV... and fall asleep by 9pm (apparently I'm not the only one with this schedule). Well, there was a change of plans, and once we arrived, we met the video team out for dinner to celebrate a birthday. Two hours later, I looked down at my watch and realized it was past my bedtime. I started to sweat! I must get home I thought!... I reminded myself of a senior citizen that realized 4pm was upon him, and it was imperative he get to the closest restaurant before the early-bird special ends. Or maybe I was acting more like a modern day pre-teen Cinderella. I felt like my car was going to turn into a pumpkin, and my jeans and tshirt were going to disappear and turn into old tattered pajamas if I let another minute pass. Before I knew it, I was leaving the restaurant and driving... to... a karaoke bar? Wait... What? This isn't my hotel!? How did I drive myself to a karaoke bar at 9pm on a MONDAY? Am I going crazy? These pregnancy hormones are leaving me so confused. But guess what? I spent the next 3 hours having the time.of.my.life. 


Within ten minutes of entering the karaoke bar, I ordered an ice water and hopped up on stage. I grabbed a mic, told the DJ to "hit it" and SHOOP by salt n peppa came on. I have never once sang karaoke. I might have been an active little Gleek in high school with Varsity Choir, Honor Choir, Womens Choir, and Jazz Choir all on my resume... but this was so out of my element. And, I kind of looked like this....
Granted, Ellen is a beautiful blonde lesbian, and I am a 27 year old pregnant brunette, wearing jeans and a belly bandit to camouflage the fact that my pants were unbuttoned and most likely unzipped while I was rapping across the karaoke stage. So the resemble is a little off, but still. After my white girl rendition came to a close, I hopped off stage, took a shot of my ice water, and hit the dance floor (party of one.. literally.) I suppose my resemblance of the evening was a little less Ellen and a little more like.... this gem below?
The morale of the story is that you (or I) can still have fun. Single, married, pregnant, or I'm assuming, as a mother. I think Monday night was exactly what I needed... a little "pick-me-up, while my pants were falling off", so to speak. I caught a glimpse of myself in the bathroom mirror before I went to bed, and as I wiped the remnants of my Karaoke induced sweat from my forehead, I thought... "pregnancy glow, is that you?" And I went to bed happier than I have in a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment